Sometimes it's great to get away for Christmas - and what better excuse to check out new holiday destinations? If you're looking to do something a bit different to the usual celebrations, check out our guide to a few alternative Christmas destinations:
1. Lapland, Finland - For the most fairytale Christmas you'll ever likely to have why not consider spending your holidays in Lapland? A perfect destination for those who have small children you can meet Santa in private meeting, ride husky sleighs, pet reindeer or just cosy up by the fire in your homely log cabin. Lapland is more accessible and less expensive than ever before so now there is no excuses!
2. Nashville, USA - Nobody does 'big' like America, and Christmas is no exception at Nashville's Gaylord Opryland Hotel. Voted "The most Christmassy hotel in the nation", it has also been named in a top ten list of places to spend Christmas. With 2 million dazzling lights, shows, musicals and ice sculptures, the Gaylord Opryland's 'A Country Christmas' is a visual feast for the holidays!
3. Ireland - The stunning Emerald Isle is also another great place to spend your Christmas holidays. Choose a cottage in the wild, rugged landscapes and spend your seasonal break the Irish way - by sipping whisky by the open fire and singing in the local church. Try walking off your Christmas feast on boxing day in picturesque surroundings, just make sure you wrap up warm!
4. Solvang, California - Spending your Christmas in a Danish town in California may sound a bit bizarre but the kitsch town of Solvang offers charming, atmospheric and traditional festivities. People travel for miles to visit the annual Solvang Winterfest and most love the carol singers, festive music and the hundreds of twinkling lights which illuminate this old-world style town. When visiting also make sure you stop by the family run 'Jule Hus' which is Danish for Christmas House.
5. Cuba - If the icy grip of winter gets too much, the Caribbean island of Cuba could be the perfect antidote. Rather than worry about cooking turkey for countless guests back home, smoke Cuban cigars, drink cocktails and party into the night, before lazing about on white sandy beaches. Why not hire a classic 1950s Cadillac for a tour of Havana and the coral reef islands on Cuba's north coast. A heavenly way to spend Christmas! - 39969